Deadline for applications : 20 January 2016
Post title : Administrative Assistant
Grade : GS-5
Reference : 2015/11
Duty Station : International Court of Justice, The Hague, Netherlands
Organizational Unit : Office of the Registrar
Remuneration : 38,041
Qualifications and requirements:
- The incumbent will provide secretarial assistance to the Personal Assistant of the Registrar in the overall administration of the Office of the Registrar. S/he will provide direct assistance to the Registrar when his Personal Assistant is absent, as well as in the evenings whenever the Offices workload so requires. In particular, s/he will type and audio type notes and official and personal correspondence of the Registrar in the two official languages of the Court (French and English); draft responses to a wide range of correspondence and other communications and ensure follow up; edit, upon instructions, documents, reports and letters; place and screen telephone calls on the three telephone lines in the Office of the Registrar; handle, with all necessary discretion, information requests and complex enquiries.
- S/he will autonomously manage and keep up to date the records of the Office of the Registrar, and ensure efficient record keeping. S/he will receive and sort all incoming correspondence, communications and documents, using her/his initiative to assess their nature and relevance. S/he will make efficient use of the internal database and file searching system, generate statistics, prepare reports and answer requests requiring file searches.
- S/he will maintain the calendar of the Registrars Office and prepare and manage his schedule, assessing the priority of incoming requests, monitoring changes and keeping the appropriate staff members informed. S/he will manage and update extensive distribution lists and distribute urgent mail, in close co operation with the relevant Departments and Divisions. S/he will meet and accompany high ranking visitors attending meetings with the Registrar.
- S/he will provide administrative and logistical support for meetings and other events, take care of reservations, travel requests and expense claims, and be responsible for supplies and equipment orders for the Office of the Registrar.
- S/he will perform other assigned duties as required by the Office of the Registrar.
Experience and other requirements:
- completion of secondary education. Diploma in secretarial skills and office management would be an asset.
- five years of relevant and progressively responsible work experience, preferably in an international environment;
- a good knowledge of protocol and diplomatic usage is highly desirable, together with the utmost discretion;
- a basic understanding of international law/international relations would be an asset;
- mastery of MS Word and Microsoft Office Outlook is essential; literacy in other IT tools is desirable;
- ability to work accurately at speed and to remain calm under pressure, using time effectively and efficiently;
- ability to maintain harmonious relations within a multicultural team.
- French and English are the official working languages of the International Court of Justice. Perfect command of one language and excellent command of the other are required; proven drafting ability in French and English is essential; knowledge of other official languages of the United Nations, as well as of Dutch, would be an asset.
How to apply:
- Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
Applicants are requested to submit a full curriculum vitae (of no more than two pages) and to enclose an accompanying handwritten letter. The selected candidate may be subject to a security clearance, including verification of the information provided in the application and a criminal record check. All candidates should be in a position to submit an electronic copy of their passport and of all diplomas listed on their profile when requested.
Applications may be submitted by e-mail, addressed to the Registrar of the Court, clearly indicating the vacancy announcement number.
Fax: +31 70 364 99 28
Only applications from candidates under serious consideration will be acknowledged.
The Registrar reserves the right not to appoint any candidate to the post, or to appoint one at a lower level or on the basis of a modified post description. Applications that are found by the Court to meet the above criteria may be added to a reserve list in case a similar vacancy arises in the future.