Under the supervision of the Head of the Publications Division, the incumbent will perform the following main duties:
- prepare typescripts in electronic or paper form and check grammar, spelling, syntax, accuracy, clarity, punctuation and conformity with established International Court of Justice style;
- read and correct proofs against the original manuscript so as to ensure that the printed version is a true transcription of the text supplied for printing;
- check bilingual texts to ensure typographical and substantive conformity;
- check the en regard make up of texts;
- perform such administrative tasks as may be assigned to him/her by the Head of Division.
Qualifications and skills
- university degree or equivalent with appropriate professional experience;
- at least two years experience as a Proofreader/Copy Preparer;
- French mother tongue; excellent command of English; knowledge of Spanish and/or Dutch would be an asset;
- familiarity with and proficiency in Microsoft Office and desktop publishing programs;
- broad general knowledge, attention to detail and the ability to maintain harmonious relations within a multicultural team, particularly under pressure during busy periods.
Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered.
The Courts salaries are calculated in US dollars but paid in euros. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment which reflects the cost of living in the Netherlands and the euro/dollar exchange rate.
In addition, the Court offers an attractive benefits package including 30 days of annual leave, home travel every two years, an education grant for dependent children, a pension plan and medical insurance.
For more information regarding the salary scales, please consult the UN Salaries, Allowances, Benefits and Job Classification website.
How to apply
Applicants are requested to complete a United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) and to send their application by e mail to the Registrar of the Court (clearly indicating the vacancy announcement number, and with a cover letter).
E mail: email@example.com
Fax: +31 70 364 99 28
Only applications from candidates under serious consideration will be acknowledged.