The Library of the International Court of Justice is seeking to fill a post of Library Assistant, a multifaceted position requiring both document management and technical skills. The incumbent will take responsibility for the integrated library management system (MINISIS), maintain the Librarys catalogue and assist with the day to day running of the Library (loans and reference services).
Under the supervision of the Head of the Documentation and Library Division, and in collaboration with the Library staff, the incumbent will:
- ensure the smooth running of the integrated library management system (MINISIS), introducing new functions according to the needs of the service;
- liaise with external suppliers and the Courts IT Division as regards the functioning of the operating system, software updates and the management of licences; customize application software as instructed by the vendor;
- co-operate with the IT Division to run the Librarys system smoothly and integrate it with other systems of the Court, following appropriate procedures;
- participate in the development and updating of the Librarys intranet pages and the online catalogue (OPAC);
- create and maintain authority records;
- respond to requests for technical support.
- catalogue, index (subject headings) and classify documents acquired by the Library using electronic cataloguing tools and applying international cataloguing rules and bibliographic standards;
- update and re index the various dictionaries of specialized terms;
- participate in the acquisitions process (data entry).
Loans and reference services and other tasks:
- welcome and assist Library users in the Reading Room (on a rotational basis with other Library staff);
- search for and replace works in the stacks and Peace Palace Library (on a rotational basis);
- deal with research requests from Library users;
- participate in the creation of bibliographies and chronological lists of documents;
- carry out any other administrative tasks forming part of the Librarys services.
Qualifications and skills:
- Completion of secondary education.
- At least three years experience in document management, IT, or an equivalent field.
- A high level of proficiency in the use of IT tools (HTML, Web environment) and their practical applications; experience of managing an integrated library management system would be an asset;
- practical knowledge of different cataloguing standards and classification systems.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a multicultural environment;
- analytical approach to solving problems;
- commitment to improving services through teamwork, professionalism and responding to users needs and requests.
Proficiency in English and French; knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For more information regarding salary scales, please consult the United Nations Salaries, Allowances, Benefits and Job Classification website.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
How to apply:
Applicants are requested to complete a United Nations Personal History Form (P.11), and to submit a cover letter. They are strongly encouraged to send their application by e mail, addressed to the Registrar of the Court, clearly indicating the vacancy announcement number.
E mail: recrutement recruitment@icj cij.org
Fax: +31 70 364 9928
Only applications from candidates under serious consideration will be acknowledged.
The Registrar reserves the right to appoint a candidate to the post at a lower level than that indicated in this vacancy announcement.