Secretary to Judge
||16 January 2015
||31 March 2015|
at midnight Central European Time (CET)
Deadline for applications : 15 January 2013
Post title : Mail Assistant
Grade : GS-3
Reference : 2012/9
Duty Station : International Court of Justice, The Hague, Netherlands
Organizational Unit : General Assistance Unit
Indicative minimum net annual remuneration : 30,047
Under the general supervision of the Co ordinator of the General Services Unit, the incumbent performs the following duties:
- Mail delivery tasks:
- Takes responsibility for all matters related to mail;
- Receives incoming mail, express mail and parcels;
- Distributes and/or processes mail;
- Verifies courier documents and tracks the distribution of mail;
- Liaises regularly with postal and courier services and drafts correspondence to post office;
- Assists in tracing mail items;
- Delivers urgent mail and parcels;
- Distributes confidential documents;
- Ensures timely distribution of conference documents;
- Ensures proper coding and addressing of mail.
- Other tasks:
- Assists in the verification of receipt and accuracy of requisite documents, approval, signatures, to ensure compliance with financial requirements;
- Provides administrative and logistics support to meetings, committees, conferences, etc;
- Assists the Procurement Officer to co ordinate (furniture) deliveries;
- Communicates with the Procurement Officer to plan future stationery purchases;
- Prepares requisitions and enters data to initiate requisition process;
- Participates in the Bid Opening Board;
- Assists the Procurement Officer in the yearly inventory exercise for the Court;
- Maintains the inventory database and the stock of internal stationery supply, including paper and envelopes with the Court logo;
- Disposes of obsolete documents and papers in containers;
- Is responsible for coffee machines and co ordinates coffee supply;
- Implements the maintenance of photocopy machines;
- Co operates with the Carnegie Foundation’s technical services on practical maintenance;
- Carries out handy man tasks such as hanging pictures, and petty cash purchases for stationery (below €200);
- Occasionally drives vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel;
- Makes deliveries of parcels and documents, minor purchases and collects urgent purchases from local suppliers as requested;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Working experience in handling mail, pouch, registry operations or related area. Working experience as a driver would be an asset.
- Professionalism: knowledge of general office procedures. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Client orientation: mainly seeking to improve services to Members of the Court and Registry staff, the incumbent identifies needs, suggests relevant solutions, anticipates problems and meets timeline for delivery of services;
- Technological awareness: keeps abreast of available technology; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks and shows willingness to learn new technology.
- French and English are the two official and working languages of the Court. Proficiency in one of these languages is required, with a very good working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of other official UN languages as well as of Dutch would be an asset.
Depending on professional background, experience and family situation, a competitive compensation and benefit package is offered.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
How to apply:
Applicants are requested to complete a United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) and to submit a cover letter.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to send their application by e mail, addressed to the Registrar of the Court, clearly indicating the vacancy announcement number.
Fax: +31 70 364 99 28
Only applications from candidates under serious consideration will be acknowledged.
The Registrar reserves the right not to appoint any candidate to the post, or to appoint one at a lower level or on the basis of a modified description. Applications that are found by the Court to meet the above criteria may be added to a reserve list in case a similar vacancy arises in the future.